Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2006

this some body

what the mirror said by Lucille Clifton

listen,
you a wonder.
you a city
of a woman.
you got geography
of your own.
listen,
somebody need a map
to understand you.
somebody need directions
to move around you.
listen,
woman,
you not a noplace
anonymous
girl;
mister with his hands on you
he got his hands on some
damn
body!

I really appreciate her words and her poetry because it is very strong. I read that poem and feel good to that I am a woman with a body, but I am not just a body, I am some body. It is important to remember that. Many women get caught up in their own body. As if a body makes you who you are. It is important to accept your body and feel powerful in it. It is also important to remember the somebody that you are.

Even I, who thinks about this all the time, get caught up and confused about body image and trying to accept it into my life in a healthy way. Sometimes I look at my body and think "a females body is sexy and powerful." I think to use it to my advantage. When others consider this I usually get mixed responses.
like this...
Some say: You put women back hundreds of years, we work hard to show our minds make us equals. Men hold us down by making us worth nothing more than a body for sex.

Some say: You have something powerful and sexual. You have another tool to use to your advantage. Don't hate and hide the female body just because it holds this strengh.

But sometimes I feel like relying on your body is wrong. Depending on your mind seems like the most reasonable way to go. Other times I feel like why do I let sexuality seem like a negative thing. As a matter of fact it seems like more than ever when women were held as unequals their bodies were being held back just like their minds.

So why not flaunt it all. You can use everything you have. You don't have to be ashamed of being intelligent or sexy. Just doing it in the right way seems like the best idea. If you have something intelligent to say, then share. You don't have to be a arrogant know it all to sound smart. Doing it tastfully to help yourself and others seems appropriate. Same with our female bodies. We have it, we can use it tastefully. You don't have to wear obsecene things to show how amazing your body is. You can show it in a tasteful way. You don't have to hide it. You just have to respect it.




Your beautiful mind, your beautiful body.







2 comments:

Voice of Reason said...

i feel enlightened here.

Voice of Reason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.