Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

HOW TO PACK FOR 5 DAYS


On my last trip to Florida I realized what I have known for years. I am an overpacker. I have no ability to minimize. I could have saved money on suitcase charges by just bringing a carry on and leaving what I never even take out of my suitcase at home. 
So how do you pack for a five day trip to a warmer place? Well here is what I actually ended up wearing, which ends up being less than half of what I packed. 
First rule of packing...always check a ten day weather report and plan for the lowest temps and the worst weather they try and throw at you. In my case that was low sixties for a day and two days of rain. Also, no matter how hot the weather is, there is also very cold air conditioning.  
For my five day trip I was able to wear, and should have only packed the following...
2 pairs of jeans, 1 sweater, 1 hooded sweatshirt, 2 bathing suits, 1 pair of sneakers, 2 pairs of sandels, 2 pairs of heels, 2 sundresses, 2 going out dresses, 2 pair of sleep shorts, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 skirt, 2 tops, and 2 long sleeve shirts. Even though this seems like a lot, it rolls very small and all fit into my carryon suitcase along with other things I needed. This includes my camera, ipod, makeup/toothbrush, and hair products. Because the plane regulations only allow very small sizes (you should always check what the oz. regulations are before packing) they take up very little room. 
I found this picture on flicker and thought that it was a good example of packing. Try it. You can avoid packing a large suitcase that you will have to pay for if you just think ahead and make good packing choices. 

<3>

photo thanks to flicker.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're a really good packer. I tend to over pack, and for the same trip probably would have taken double, and at least 2 sweaters.